Friday 7 December 2012

Commonly used fertility drugs

There a number of different types of fertility drugs that you may be recommended by your clinician. Have a look over our list of the most common fertility drugs to see what each one is prescribed for, and what the possible side effects could be.
The list also covers drugs used to give you more control over your treatment cycle.
  • Common fertility drugs
  • Treatment cycle drugs

Common fertility drugs:

Clomifene citrate (Clomid)

How it is taken:  In pill form (one - four tablets a day between day two –six of the cycle).
Effect: Indirectly stimulates ovaries into producing eggs.
What it is for: To stimulate and / or regulate ovulation.
Possible side effects: Hot flushes, mood swings, nausea, breast tenderness, insomnia, increased urination, heavy periods, spots, weight gain. May also increase ovarian cancer risk slightly if taken for over a year.

Metformin

How it is taken:Tablets with build up of dosage to two – three tablets per day.

Effect: Used in the treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome, particularly for obese patients.

What it is for: Can stimulate ovulation.

Possible side effects: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, metallic taste, itching, allergic reactions and rarely hepatitis.

Pulsed gonadotrophin-releasing hormone -GnRH (including – Gonadorelin)

How it is taken: Small pump, usually on upper arm, injects pulses into bloodstream.

Effect: Triggers egg production.

What it is for: Ovulation failure caused by lack of GnRH(used rarely).

Possible side effects: Stomach pains, sickness and nausea, heavy periods, headaches.

Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), Gonal-F, and Puregon Luteinizing hormone (LH), such as Menogon, Menopur and Merional

How it is taken:  Injections (one per day). When eggs are mature, you are given an injection of human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) hormone to trigger release of an egg(s).
Effect: Stimulates the ovaries to produce eggs.
What it is for: To stimulate ovulation before treatment cycles, or for polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) where Clomid hasn’t worked. Also for infertility due to pituitary gland failure and some male infertility.
Possible side effects: Over-stimulation of the ovaries (OHSS); risk of multiple pregnancy when used for ovulation induction, allergic reactions and skin reactions.
For more information on OHSS see:


Drugs to regulate your treatment cycle:

During treatment, your doctor will usually prescribe other drugs for you to take at various times to give more control over your treatment cycle. These may include:

Nafarelin Buserelin and Goserelin (also know as: Gonadotrophin- releasing hormone (GnRH) analogues or pituitary agonists)

How it is taken: Nasal spray, several times daily, or as daily injections or monthly depo (injected under the skin) before, or at the same time as, fertility drugs.

Effect:  Block natural release of hormones that regulate the natural monthly cycle. Produce low levels of FSH, LH and oestradiol.

What it is for: To stop the natural menstrual cycle.
Possible side effects: Hot flushes, night sweats, headaches, vaginal dryness, mood swings, changes in breast size, breakouts of spots, acne and sore muscles.

Cetrotide and Orgalutran - gonadotrophin- releasing hormone antagonists

How it is taken: Daily subcutaneous (under the skin) injection.Given at the same time as FSH injections.

Effect: Unlike the pituitary agonists above, these drugs offer the alternative of blocking the release of FSH and are administered while the ovaries are stimulated to produce eggs in an IVF treatment cycle.

What it is for: Stop ovulation until eggs are ready to be collected as part of the IVF cycle.

Possible side effects: Nausea, headache, injection site reactions, dizziness and malaise.

Progesterone (including Cyclogest, Gestone, Crinone or Progynova)

How it is taken:  Either after the injection of the pregnancy hormone, hCG, or on the day embryos are returned to the womb, as a vaginal suppository, a pill, gel or by injection into the buttock.
Effect: May help to maintain pregnancy after IVF or IUI.

What it is for: To thicken the lining of the womb in preparation for nurturing a possible embryo.

Possible side effects:  Nausea, vomiting, swollen breasts.

Bromocript-ine and Cabergoline

How it is taken: Tablets.

Effect: Reduces high levels of Prolactin hormone.
What it is for:  High prolactin can interfere with production of and the affect of FSH. Has a place even in IVF if Prolactin level is high.
Possible side effects: Nausea, headache, constipation, dry mouth, skin reactions, hair loss, lowering of the voice.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks alot for sharing on your knowledge about this field.

    Los Angeles Fertility Clinic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most time it’s good to share problem. WHO KNOWS?? My names are Aylen Melsin I suffered Adhesion that damaged my uterus and this is really what I think you should understand. I finally was able to conceive a child of my own after 7 years without any issue. This really was the worst thing ever. It was a miracle that indeed shocked me and my husband. Because I was left with no option but to use a Herbal Health Concoction that was prepared from Roots Herbs to help the Immune. I got to find out a solution through online search and I talked to the direct source about my problem. His name is Ahiga and he told me how some necessary few herbs will be useful to women’s health, to cure Fibroid, tubes blockage recovery, So I gave him a chance to do what knows best. He sent the Herbs to me and gave simple instruction on method of use. After few weeks of usage I began to feel dizzy, vomiting, tender breast, a friend of mine told me all these are sings of pregnancy. I went for check up behold I was confirmed pregnant. I'm glad God did this with the Roots Herbs of Ahiga. You can get in-touch with Ahiga via Email (ahigahealing@yahoo.com) really just felt like dropping this, not for all but for those who want to start having children of their own.

    ReplyDelete

  3. After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don't believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or call him +2348164728160 you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fibroids are abnormal growths that develop in or on a woman's uterus. Sometimes these tumors become quite large and cause severe abdominal pain and heavy periods, pelvic pain, miscarriages. In other cases, they cause no signs or symptoms at all. The growths are typically benign, or noncancerous.But With Agbara Herbal Medication, This will Be completely cured,,,,Remember surgery does not removed or cured Fibroid, visit Dr Cure Via. .drcureherbalhome@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An amazing testimony on how i conceive and also get cure from my fibroid permanently with his natural herbs , i wonder why people still don't believe that roots and herbs are very essential and fruitful in different aspect, especially when you can't conceive and bear children. I am a living witness because I tried all I could to be pregnant but all to no avail, on this faithful day, i decided to check the net for updates on healthy living and i came across testimonies of lot of women who Dr Onokun has helped with his native herbs to conceive. i decided to put a try because this has been my greatest problem in life so I emailed Dr Onokun, and he told me what to do which i did, after which he sent me some roots and herbs syrup and gave me step by step guild lines on how and when to have sex with my man. I missed my menstrual flow within a short period of taking it, and the doctor confirmed that I am pregnant. I am very glad to tell the world that I just put to bed a bouncing baby boy last week. Contact Dr Onokun for your own testimony on: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com Or WhatsApp: +2349064844957

    ReplyDelete